The Sports Cardiology Program of Greenville Health System Heart & Vascular Institute offers a large network of the Upstate’s premier cardiovascular specialists and services. Led by Trey Chandler III, M.D. and Harold Blanks III, M.D., the Sports Cardiology Program gives the athlete access to the most innovative and comprehensive cardiovascular care in the Upstate.
Evaluations and screenings:
- Pre-participation athletic cardiovascular screening
- Evaluation of symptoms such as chest pain, palpitations or shortness of breath during training or competition
- Evaluation of an unexplained deterioration in performance
- Evaluation of impaired athletic performance, due to a previous medical treatment
- Clearance to continue sports participation after cardiac event or cardiovascular surgery
- Discussion of concerns about family history of cardiovascular disease
- Advice on controlling cardiovascular risk factors
- Desire for a comprehensive cardiovascular screening
- Lessen lifestyle factors that may affect the athletic heart
- Establish preventative treatment
- Receive expert advice on cardiovascular health
- Gain a deeper understanding of your heart
Return to Play
General health screenings are common for athletes to participate in sports at the high school and college level. Sometimes there is a preliminary diagnosis that can sideline an athlete. A general practitioner is usually the first one to determine eligibility, but a second opinion from the GHS Sports Cardiology Program physicians can often give clearance or determine a course of treatment.
Recreational and Competitive Athletes
The GHS Sports Cardiology program can provide evaluation and services to the recreational and the master’s level competitive athlete. As we age, there is an expected decline in the body’s ability to perform at consistently high levels. However, there are potentially reversible conditions that could be impacting your performance including the risk of developing cardiovascular disease. The GHS Sports Cardiology Program team can help evaluate performance and provide comprehensive cardiovascular risk stratification with the goal to keep active and competitive.
Advanced imaging techniques can help catch and treat these problems before they become major health issues. All of our patients are treated with comprehensive care and backed by the Greenville Health System resources.